Monday, April 21, 2014

Award-Winning Pecan Pie...Allegedly

I wish I had a better story for how I developed this great pecan pie recipe, besides that I adapted it from one I saw in a Food & Wine article, which according to some guy I don’t remember, may have won a prize in the Texas State Fair. Like I said, the story needs some embellishing.

Nevertheless, this is my idea of the perfect pecan pie. It has the perfect ratio of crunchy nuts to the sweet, sticky goodness underneath. And thanks to the blind-baking, the crust is wonderfully crisp.


I used less sugar/corn syrup than most popular recipes, but I highly doubt you’ll notice, especially with that little, but not too little, scoop of ice cream on top. Some people swear by whipped cream, but I'll take the denser, colder option every time.

As I mentioned in the video, April is National Pecan Month, and what better way to celebrate than with America’s favorite pecan recipe? I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for one pie:
Enough pie dough for a 9 1/2 inch glass pie dish (get recipe here)
*Pie shell should be pre-baked as shown.
2 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup butter (4 oz)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp fine salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp bourbon
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp flour
3 large eggs
*Bake at 350 F. for about 45 minutes, or until browned and set.