Friday, April 4, 2014

Miso-Glazed Black Cod – Nobu for You

This is my take on the oft requested miso-glazed, black cod, made famous by chef Nobu Matsuhisa, although I will be improving on the master’s world-famous preparation. 

Okay, that was a joke, but my version does have a major difference; I only like to marinate the fish for a short time, as opposed to the more traditional one or two days.

I’ve had it both ways, and both are fantastic, but black cod is so sweet and succulent, that I prefer the less-marinated approach. The glaze is so flavorful that waiting two days to eat seems unnecessary. This will work on any similarly sized chunk of fish, but seriously, try to find some black cod. It’s also known as butterfish, and for very good reason. It’s like butter.

In addition to a taste and texture to die for, this is one of the easiest fish recipes of all time. A couple minutes to make the sauce, some brushing, a short wait, and you’re broiling. By the way, I don’t like to cook both sides. I like the heat to only penetrate from the top down. This makes for a lovely caramelized top, and a super juicy interior. Cooking times will vary, but simply broil the fish until the bones pull out with no effort, and the meat flakes. I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 Portions:
2 black cod filet (about 7 oz each)
2 tbsp water
3 tbsp white miso
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp brown sugar