Friday, June 6, 2014

Mancakes! A Father’s Day Brunch Classic

This amazing bacon, green onion, and cheddar corn pancakes recipe was originally planned as a “breakfast for dinner” post, but when I tasted how incredible they came out, I decided to do them as a Father’s Day brunch special instead. 

I realize Father’s Day Brunch isn’t actually a thing, but just in case it becomes a great tradition someday, I figured I’d get this into the search engines nice and early. Plus, I really wanted to call them “mancakes.”

Sweet/savory hybrids can be tricky sometimes, but I think this worked beautifully. We are talking about bacon, cheese, and onions after all, so it wasn't that big a shock. And the way the chipotle-spiced maple syrup brought everything together was a risk well rewarded.

As far as the texture goes, these were surprisingly tender, and fairly light for corn pancakes. My only regret is not cooking extra bacon to top these with. So, why not surprise the man in your life, and whip up a batch of these soon? Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 12 Mancakes:
8 oz bacon
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch freshly ground black pepper
pinch cayenne
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/3 cups milk
2 oz grated sharp cheddar (about 1/2 cup)
serve with warm maple syrup spiked with chipotle to taste